Thursday, June 10, 2010

Tangled trailer

Here's the first real teaser trailer for Disney's next "happily ever after" feature, Tangled, the story of Rapunzel. Or is it the story of Rapunzel's prince, featuring Rapunzel? After watching this trailer, I'm not sure anymore. Not to mention I was too busy inspecting the new visual style of this 3-D feature (yes, in this instance I mean the bring-your-special-glasses 3-D, but I also mean CGI). Animator Glen Keane initially helmed this project with the desire to bring the beauty of 2-D to computer animation. His team created a new form of 3-D that will hopefully evoke the warmth and feeling of a traditional painting. Behold, the studio's attempt at making a painting come to life through the magic of Disney:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please note: NOTHING about this trailer conveyed the master animator's original vision of traditional animation's warmth and appeal. The characters look just as photoreal as anything fromn Shrek, and they move just about as stiffly. I am completely disappointed by Disney's effort on this, and team Pixar should never have interfered in the first place.

Tillie Sain said...

I guess when Glen stopped directing they also stopped developing the painterly style he was aiming to achieve. The backgrounds look like they still retain aspects of the painterly effort, but overall it's not what I was expecting at all. It still looks better than the average Dreamworks production, but the pop music certainly isn't helping. I have heard, however, that this teaser doesn't accurately portray the film and is just marketing rubbish. I do so hope those reports aren't wrong...