Saturday, August 29, 2009

desktop decoration

One of the first things I see in the morning after I turn my computer on is my desktop. Duh. Throughout the day I will inevitably see it again and again, so I like to give it some artistic oomph that will stimulate my creative impulses. My favorite displays come from animation backgrounds and concept art. Here, I'll show you:

Borrowed from Billy Wray's blog, painted backgrounds from Samurai Jack. I love the style of that cartoon and it has some truly great layouts.

More Samurai Jack via Billy Wray. I thought this was an interesting layout, especially since it makes me feel like my computer is a window looking out onto a bazaar (it would be awesome if it was somehow animated with various passersby, preferably an assortment of otherworldly creatures out looking for bargains).

A Lilo & Stitch watercolor background by Peter Moehrle, found on Ben Price's blog. It's a shame Disney fell out the habit of doing watercolor backgrounds because they can really add character to a film, and I'm glad they brought the style back for what turned out to be one of my favorite animated movies.

The city of Townsville! A peaceful scene to cool me down after a day of computer work. Background layout from The Powerpuff Girls cartoon borrowed from Lou Romano's blog.

Art from Nickelodeon's The Mighty B! taken straight from the Nick website (except I went in and got rid of that annoying logo). The colors and sweep of this San Francisco scene are pretty nifty, if I do say so myself.

For the life of me I have no idea where I got this. I don't even know who it's by. Ralph Eggleston perhaps? In any case, it's concept art from Finding Nemo and it's beautiful. I used to have this on my computer at work and it made me happy every time I looked at it.

Back when I was working late nights on my animation homework, I cobbled this piece together from Glen Keane's character work for inspiration.

Of course, it's not all about animation. At least, not all the time. James Jean's cover art for the Fables graphic novel series is always a visual treat. Visit his site for more of his work. Or better yet, start reading Bill Willingham's Fables.

Whenever I have a hankering to peruse for more art inspiration, I sometimes use Rob Richard's Animation Backgrounds blog, which has an amazing assortment of, well, animation backgrounds. Unfortunately, most of them are not what I would consider desktop worthy, mostly because they're smaller images that wouldn't look good stretched to fit the screen. Still, it's a great resource.

No comments: