Tuesday, July 21, 2009

comic convention upcoming mayhem

Get your silly hats ready because the San Diego Comic-Con starts in a few days! Woooo! I've been planning like crazy thanks to the SDCC's RSS news feed. They really like to keep you in suspense up until a week before the convention.

Some of the panels I'm looking forward to most:
Disney: 3-D Panel
Tim Burton will be there? I'm so down. I can't wait to see what he has in store for the new Alice In Wonderland remake. Plus, I need to keep tabs on Disney's strides into the third dimension.
Drawn to Life: 20 Golden Years of Disney Master Classes
I have to make a choice between attending the previous panel or this one. As much as I enjoy a good romp into the mind of Tim Burton, I am an even bigger fan of Glen Keane. Must go.
Cartoon Network: Chowder! The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack! Adventure Time with Finn and Jake!
How can I pass up the opportunity to see firsthand the genius emanating from Pendleton Ward and Thurop Van Orman? Adventure Time is one of my all-time favorite animated shorts and Flapjack makes me giggle like a wee child. And I hear there's going to be a kickin' nerd beach party following the panel. Win.
Disney: Animation panel
The great Hayao Miyazaki will be in attendance! This rare sighting is going to cause waiting-line mayhem!! And Mayhem is my middle name. Anyone else see Ponyo? I thought it was just delightful. A lovely, easygoing sort of movie full of wonder and... ancient fish.
Fox's Futurama panel
Now, I hear there is a voice acting upset throwing a wrench in the works of the new Futurama series Fox is bringing back. I say scrap that pathetic Family Guy spin-off and use the money to give these actors the credit (in the form of a healthy salary) they so richly deserve. Take a slice from Ryan Secrest's pay if you want, only stop trying to ruin a good thing. These guys are the show.

Some must-have items at the convention:
FLIGHT vol. 6
A wonderful graphic novel collaboration with such amazing artists as Rodolphe Guenoden, Rad Sechrist, Phil Craven, Graham Annable, and of course Kazu Kibuishi.
What Is Torch Tiger?
From the guys at Disney who brought us Who Is Rocket Johnson? comes their latest collaboration and work of comic art.


And that's just to start. I didn't even go into how much I'm looking forward to meeting Chris Sanders. Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis much! I've got my fancy schmancy business cards printed out and a-ready to go and I've been "training" daily for nonstop convention floor action. Make way for this walking fiend.

Here's a look back at that first day of my run/walk workout routine, inspired in part by Meredith Gran's webcomic, Octopus Pie. (color to come later)

1 comment:

Pags said...

That's a pretty great looking business card design! I need to make business cards.