Monday, February 02, 2009

there can be only one (from each category)!

The 2009 Academy Awards are almost here! I know you guys are all, "It's all about Best Picture and I can't bother with anything less substantial or meaningful," but I think you may have overlooked two very important categories! Shame on you. Here is the list of this year's animation nominees.


Best Animated Feature:

I was actually pleasantly surprised by this film. It was funny and even without Chris Sanders' wacky genius I think it did very well for itself. Disney 3-D (aka their attempts separate from Pixar) was never my favorite branch of animation, but I think it deserves a pat on the back for this one. (Disney - Chris Williams and Byron Howard)


One of Dreamworks' better productions, I must say. Now, if only they wouldn't rely so much on acquiring a celebrity cast for each film. They're better than that. Or getting there, at least. Skidoosh! (Dreamworks - John Stevenson and Mark Osborne)


Perhaps not my favorite Pixar flick, but certainly a winner in my book! They tackled our environmental concerns the only way Pixar knows how: with a lot of heart and breathtaking visuals. And an original story, to boot. I would have loved to have seen this film in the Best Picture category... (Disney/Pixar - Andrew Stanton) Winner!


Best Animated Short:

"A grandpa who lived in the house has been constantly building houses on top, as the water level rises." That's about all I've been able to find on this short and I'd really love to watch it. Nishikata has posted an in-depth review of the short here if you'd like to read it and get a better idea. (Kunio Kato) Watch a clip. Winner!


A simple, sweet little romance in an unexpected place. It was a delight to watch, and well-animated, too, but not quite my cup of tea as far as award nominees goes. (Konstantin Bronzit) Watch.


This is one of my all-time favorite animated shorts. Gorgeous Grecian scenery, adorable cephalopods in danger, a wonderfully action-packed story, and beautiful animation. Those Gobelins students really know their stuff. Octopi ftw! (Emud Mokhberi and Thierry Marchand) Watch.


My favorite Pixar short. The methods this rabbit uses to exact his revenge are hilarious. The pure physical comedy reminds me of those Disney/Looney Tunes shorts of old that I miss so much. If Oktapodi doesn't win, I hope they award it to this resourceful rabbit. And I don't want to know what will most likely happen to the Academy if they refuse him... (Doug Sweetland) Watch.


"A series of misfortunes befalls a pair of undertakers on their way to the cemetery." This looks like an interesting 3-D short, to say the least, and it's a pity I haven't been able to find a copy of it yet. *shakes fist at Internet* (Alan Smith and Adam Foulkes) Watch the trailer.


So there you have it. If anyone can point me to a place where I can watch the shorts I'm missing, please please let me know. And tune in Sunday, February 22nd to ABC to see who takes home the awards. Plus, Wolverine is hosting this year's ceremony. I guess Iron Man had better things to do.

No comments: