Wednesday, March 14, 2007

in the absence of any personal progress


The Frog Princess, Disney's 2009 release, is a traditionally-animated musical piece (trying to get back into the groove, eh?) set in New Orleans in the jazzy 1920s. Maddy will be the studio's first African-American princess. The directors of Aladdin and The Little Mermaid (Ron Clements and JohnMusker) will be writing/directing this fairy tale, with music by Randy Newman. I'm really looking forward to this with renewed hope. Still, it's too bad composer Alan Menken was already busy working on another of Disney's films, Enchanted.

As for Enchanted, it's difficult to tell right now whether I'm a fan. I'd like to be, but I'm wary because it switches from 2-D to live action. I like the cast (Amy Adams, Susan Sarandon, Idina Menzel), head animator James Baxter, and the composer and lyricist team, but ... a poofy princess cast in the midst of NYC chaos? Fun hi-jinx or old hat? It sounds like another cheesy pre-teen flick to me.

No comments: